Friday, June 15
Winner!
Last Saturday, I won my first athletic award! I placed first in my age group in a one mile race! I was so excited and proud of myself. Having my name called as a first place winner is something I had never imagined would happen! After the race, I thought I had done well. I guessed I finished within the first 20 people. We decided to stay for the awards ceremony, because I thought if age group awards were given, then I might have won something.
It took for-ev-errr. The DJ was taking his time reading off all the names, and even stopped at every name he wasn't sure about and asked if he was saying it right... On top of that, they lost the page with my age group on it so it was the almost last thing announced! I was really glad we stuck it out, though. When he finally got to us he called the third place winner, I had seen her cross the line after I did, so I was excited. When they called second place and it wasn't me, I got confident. "First place, me!" I whispered to David. When the DJ called my name I was so excited! David even yelled out a whooo! I was so touched at how proud he is of me. As an award I got a picture frame with a postcard inside that says 1st place- 1 mile race. Very fancy :)
This experience reminded me of another time I won first place. It was in sixth grade and we were having a 4H speech contest. I remember when he called the third place winner I was annoyed because I didn't think that person had done very well. I was thinking of how unfair it was that I wouldn't even win anything and she did... I was so upset I didn't hear the 2nd place winner. I just knew it wasn't me. More disappointment. Then he called me for first place. Shocked is the best way to describe how I felt. How could I have won?? My shock turned to joy as I realized that mine had been the very best one. I was so proud!
Since Monday I have been in the ISI for the Middle TN Writing project. I wrote about this experience in a few different ways. We had to try 3 different leads: interrogative, onomatopoeia, and dialogue. Here is my favorite one. (this is a first draft. don't hate! but nice comments are welcome.)
"What was my time?" I gasped. My legs were burning. "Oh I didn't look. Sorry!" he responded. My legs felt like jelly as I maneuvered precariously across the rocks in the ditch beside the road. I flopped into the grass next to the finish line and took a long pull from my water bottle. I came up for air, panting. "Need your inhaler again?" he asked, concerned. I shook my head. "Just sprinted at the end. I'm OK." When I caught my breath we wandered around the booths aimlessly, waiting for the results. We waited and waited. Eventually the awards started, but we were still waiting due to the DJ losing the paper my age group's results sheet. I was nervous. I thought I would place, but I didn't want to wait around so long for nothing. Finally, he announced us, "First place for female 24 to 29... Lauren Person!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment